CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Raspberry Peach Jam

Today I canned for the very first time!  It was exciting and not nearly as nerve-racking as I had imagined.  My only frustration was how long it took my new 21 quart pot of water to boil (yes, I know a watched pot never boils but I was too excited to leave the kitchen)!  I decided jam or jelly would be the best choice for my first attempt since air bubbles wouldn't be as much of an issue.  

The recipe: Raspberry Peach Jam (finished product pictured above) - delicious doesn't begin to describe this sinfully sweet concoction.  My husband and children have already tested the batch and given it their stamp of approval.  I have a feeling there will be lots of raspberry, peach and peanut butter sandwiches in the very near future for the kids and perhaps raspberry peach jam on vanilla bean ice cream for the grownups!   

Raspberry Peach Jam

  • 2 cups seedless raspberry puree (from about 4 to 4 1/2 cups raspberries)
  • 2 cups finely chopped peaches
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon Fruit Fresh or ascorbic acid
  • 1 box (1.75 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
  • 6 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
Combine the puree and chopped peaches in a large, deep stainless steel or enamel-lined (with no chips) kettle. Stir in the lemon juice, Fruit Fresh, and powdered pectin. Stir to blend and let stand for 10 minutes.
Bring the fruit mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat. Let the mixture boil for 1 minute. Add the sugar all at once, then the butter. Stir to blend and bring back to a full rolling boil. Continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat, skim off foam, and stir for 1 minute.

Remove jars from the hot water and fill, leaving 1/2-inch head space. Wipe the rims with a hot damp paper towel and fit jars with lids. Screw on bands just to fingertip tightness. Lift jars into the hot canning water and lower the rack. Add more hot water, if necessary, to bring water to at least 1 inch over the tops of the jars. cover the canner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle but steady boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes.

Turn off heat, remove cover, and let jars stand in the water for 5 minutes. Remove the jars to cool. Do not tip or turn the jars.

Makes 6 8-ounce jars.

*When I made this it gave me 6 - 8oz jars and 1 half pint jar.

2 comments:

  1. Not only does it sound pretty ease to make, it looks delicious! I used to do some canning on the farm with my grandmother when I was a kid. This brought back memories...She made blackberry and plum preserves. Tasted delicious on a hot biscuit!!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! that looks to be TEH NOM! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete